The Companies Act No. 71 of 2008, as amended (“the Act”), provides that a company may acquire its own shares to the extent that it is solvent and liquid, as more fully described in Section 4 of the Act. In essence, a share buy-back is a transaction where a company buys a portion of its […]
About Mareon Basson
It is trite law in South Africa that an employer will be vicariously liable for the negligent act of his or her employee/employees or agent/agents, in the event of the employee/employees or agent/agents acting in a negligent manner during the course of his/her employment. The question that arises from the above is to what extent will […]
When immovable property is in the process of being sold, there are certain compliance certificates that are necessary to obtain before the transfer can be registered. Some of these certificates are obligatory in terms of legislation, depending on the particulars of the property and type of transaction. Types of certificates: Electrical certificate of compliance: Electrical […]
In short, the authentication by a notary of the signature on a document will be required where the document is signed in one country for use in another, accordingly, by authenticating a document the notary will attest to the authenticity of the signatory who signed the document in his/her presence. The most important factor to […]
Proxy Representation – The Supreme Court of Appeal’s interpretation of Section 58(1) and 58(3)(C) of the Companies Act, 71 of 2008
As most practitioners are aware, especially those who deal with the drafting of Shareholders Agreements or even Memoranda of Incorporation, we usually insert quite a lengthy clause dealing specifically with proxies, their appointment, their right to vote, etc. I don’t believe many practitioners (be it attorneys, auditors, or advisors) have ever given much thought to […]
Great service – very helpful and informative. Thank you.Marina Fysh, Personal Assistant, Cape Town
RADIO AND WEBINARS
Our attorneys are featured regularly on Rand en Sent on RSG. If you missed us download the podcasts by clicking here.
Our attorneys are featured regularly on Labour Hour on Radio 786, Tuesday evenings at 21:00. If you missed us be sure to tune in next time by clicking here.
If you missed our follow up interview on 22 June 2018, listen to the interview here
If you missed us unpacking NDAs with our Nicolene Schoeman – Louw and the SME Movement, download the podcast here. Alternatively, if you missed the episode on Smart Contracts, download the podcast here or B-BBEE, download the podcast here.
Let’s Talk video series:
- The co-operative as an appropriate form of enterprise for black economic empowerment September 1, 2008
- National Wills Week 2008 September 6, 2008
- The co-operative as an appropriate enterprise for BEE [abstract] October 1, 2008
- Spring Fab Bridal Show 2008 November 3, 2008
- Immigration services and travel permits January 5, 2009
- Mediation – is it an Alternative to Litigation? September 18, 2019
- The Carbon Tax Act September 16, 2019
- Living and Conducting your Business with minimal risk September 10, 2019
- ENAC: Can a party withhold their own performance where the other party has failed to perform? September 9, 2019
- The Case of Debt Review- Can Consumer Exit Debt Review Early? September 7, 2019