Introduction Evidence is a crucial element in all areas of the law, more specifically in civil litigation and/or criminal cases. Evidence is important as it will indicate to the Court that the facts are in your favour and that you have a strong case. But what can you do if the evidence you require is […]
A debtor and creditor enter into an Acknowledgement of Debt (AOD) where the debtor acknowledges that he or she owes a particular sum of money to the creditor and undertakes to repay what is owing on terms agreed between the parties. This agreement is used as a shortcut to the judicial process of obtaining a judgment […]
The Consumer Protection Act No. 68 of 2008 (the “CPA”) has been in effect since 2011, however, long before this Act, there have been other legislation around to protect consumers in the building and property law industry. One of these pieces of legislation in construction law in South Africa is known as the Housing Consumers […]
Can an acknowledgment of indebtedness made without prejudice be admitted as evidence in trial proceedings?
General legal practice prescribes that when an admission is made within a letter, with the result of both parties reaching a mutual agreement, such admission may be made without prejudice. The inferred understanding is that such an admission would not form part of any litigious evidence should the matter end up in court. A debtor […]
In the recent ruling of Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality v Amber Mountain Investments, the Supreme Court of Appeal (“SCA”) addressed the question of whether the seller of immovable property could be held liable for the advance payment of the full annual property rate, or only for the payment of rates calculated until transfer takes place. […]
Informed, coherent and helpful. Just what we were looking for in an attorney!Sigrid Kenmuir, Marketing Assistant, Cape Town
Our attorneys are featured regularly on Rand en Sent on RSG. If you missed us download the podcasts by clicking here.
Our attorneys are featured regularly on Labour Hour on Radio 786, Tuesday evenings at 21:00. If you missed us be sure to tune in next time by clicking here.
If you missed our follow up interview on 22 June 2018, listen to the interview here
If you missed us unpacking NDAs with our Nicolene Schoeman – Louw and the SME Movement, download the podcast here
Let’s Talk video series:
- The co-operative as an appropriate form of enterprise for black economic empowerment September 1, 2008
- National Wills Week 2008 September 6, 2008
- The co-operative as an appropriate enterprise for BEE [abstract] October 1, 2008
- Spring Fab Bridal Show 2008 November 3, 2008
- Immigration services and travel permits January 5, 2009
- What is business rescue? August 17, 2019
- Winners at WOZA – Women in law Awards 2019! August 5, 2019
- Finalist: 2019 Standard Bank Top Woman Awards – Female Young Achiever Award and Top Gender Empowered Company August 2, 2019
- The offer to purchase is a binding agreement! July 31, 2019
- Labour brokers and temporary employment services: what are they? July 31, 2019