It is a well known rule in the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (“CCMA”) that legal representation in unfair dismissal disputes arising from misconduct are only allowed at the Commissioners discretion. Commissioners were empowered to exercise this discretion under Rule 25 of the CCMA Rules (“The Rules”). However, the recent case of Coetzee v […]
CCMA Commissioners may lose discretion to allow legal representation in unfair dismissal disputes arising from misconduct
Introduction It is a well-established principle, that employees must obey the lawful and reasonable instructions of their respective employers. Refusal to follow such instructions may constitute insubordination. While in some cases insubordination may constitute misconduct, the scope and role of insubordination can sometimes be unclear. What is insubordination As a starting point, a distinction must […]
#WOMENSMONTH – Part One Series: Sexual Harassment in the Workplace – Know your Rights as an Employee!
In South Africa, it is far more common for female employees to fall victim to Sexual Harassment in the workplace. They are often too afraid to speak up or break the silence out of fear of losing their jobs. It is important for all female employees to be aware of the fact that there […]
Nicolene Schoeman - Louw’s professionalism and quest for the right service at the right time distinguishes her as an excellent support to our business. Her turnaround time iro the legal fraternity is unique, and critical to our business. What she promises, she delivers.Dr Michèlle Booysen, Pètanque Consultancy (Pty) Ltd, Cape Town
Our attorneys are featured regularly on Rand en Sent on RSG. If you missed us download the podcasts by clicking here.
Our attorneys are featured regularly on Labour Hour on Radio 786, Tuesday evenings at 21:00. If you missed us be sure to tune in next time by clicking here.
If you missed our follow up interview on 22 June 2018, listen to the interview here
If you missed us unpacking NDAs with our Nicolene Schoeman – Louw and the SME Movement, download the podcast here
Let’s Talk video series:
- The co-operative as an appropriate form of enterprise for black economic empowerment September 1, 2008
- National Wills Week 2008 September 6, 2008
- The co-operative as an appropriate enterprise for BEE [abstract] October 1, 2008
- Spring Fab Bridal Show 2008 November 3, 2008
- Immigration services and travel permits January 5, 2009
- Customary Marriages and the Division of the Joint Estate July 15, 2019
- Law firm Nomination – 5 or more Women Lawyers July 8, 2019
- The Racism Card at Work – Can Falsely Accusing Someone of Racism Warrant Dismissal? June 28, 2019
- Unwanted Direct Marketing and your Right to Refuse June 27, 2019
- Contracts and The Passing of Risk June 27, 2019