On 2 June 2020 the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, Mr Ronald Ozzy Lamola updated the directives regarding access to the justice service points under Lockdown Alert Level 3. Below is a summary of some of the important points to take note of, if you require access to the courts and related services.
Permitted services under Alert Level 3 include:
- Matters that can be dealt with online, in writing or via teleconference;
- Urgent Motion Applications;
- Urgent Civil Trials, including COVID-19 related cases,
- Debt Review Applications;
- Divorce Proceedings;
- Interlocutory Applications and Trials;
- Issues of Court process (process and proceedings and filing of papers);
- Ex Parte applications;
- Endorsements of Powers of Attorneys;
- Applications for leave to appeal, appeals and reviews; and
- Any hearings for matters allowed by the Presiding Officer
- Child and spousal maintenance proceedings;
- Protection order;
- Foster care applications and hearings;
- Guardianship, care and contact, care and protection proceedings in respect of children;
- International child abduction cases;
- Adoption applications and hearings;
- Mediation and Facilitation.
- Services of all processes and orders and the execution of writs and warrants and online sales in execution;
- Evictions may not be conducted unless in terms of Regulation 36 of the Alert level 3 Regulations.
Should you require any further information about this, please do tno hesitate to contact us.